What Should the Outline Include?
The outline should include the c chapters (which are the topic for that chapter) further broken down into the subtopics of the subject, and a reference list. Sometimes you will want to include appendix(es), charts, graphs, resources.
Instructional Course Curriculum Example:
Chapter 1: Urinary Catheterize of a Female Patient
- Urinary catherization is a procedure that must be done in a sterile fashion.
- Bacteria from a non-sterile procedure into the bladder can cause a urinary tract infection.
- Before catheterizing, review Dr/care providers orders.
Chapter 2: Supplies Required
- Note the type of supplies needed by reviewing dr./care providers orders to complete catheterization: catheter type and size, sheet,, gloves, sterile solution.
Chapter 3: Patient Positioning
- Comfort and access to perform procedure
Chapter 4: Procedure
- Explain procedure to patient
- Obtain consent
- Review allergies
- Written and visual instruction on catheter preparation and insertion (appendix or further handouts/videos etc.)
- Perform catheterization
- Assess for patency
- Secure catheter
- Document. Color clarity, volume, how patient tolerated procedure, any unusual outcomes, etc. Handout on how to document procedure
Chapter 5: Aftercare Instruction
- Review signs and symptoms of urinary tract infection with patient, Handout for patient.
- Peri care instructions for patient
- Proper positioning for catheter to flow to bag
- Instructions on catheter obstruction, balloon pulling out, etc
- Instruction on when to seek medical advice or emergency care
Chapter 6: Further Resources
Chapter 7: References
For an informational/educational course the following outline is an example of a course I wrote on digestive health:
Chapter 1: Definitions Related to the Digestive Process
Chapter 2: Anatomy and Function of Digestive System
- Mouth and teeth
- Stomach and layers of stomach
- Gastric glands and secretions
- Three phases of gastric acid secretions
- Gastric glands anatomy
- Small intestine
- Layers of small intestine
- Villi and microvilli
- Large intestine
Note how the chapter “flows” through the digestive process, from the mouth to the large intestine. This helps produce a very to write chapter and helps the student follow the function for each of the digestive organs in a logical order.
Other chapters left out; I think you get the picture!
Chapter 10: Further Resources
Chapter 11: References