Cultural differences can be a huge deterrent in self-care. Not only do societal-type differences impact care but the cultural differences one is exposed to outside the home such as school and work. The work culture of today’s nurses needs improvement.
The Online Journal of Issues in Nursing finds the top stressors for nurses are:
- Advanced care planning
- Autonomy and informed consent to treat
- Increased paperwork/charting
- Protecting patients’ rights
- Reduced managerial support
- Role-based problems; conflict, ambiguity, and lack of power
- Staffing rotations and understaffing
- Surrogate decision-making
- Threats to career advancement and development
- Challenging and unpredictable work environments
- Workplace violence
Due to the shortage of nurses, new nurse graduates are expected to be ready for patient care immediately after graduation. This problem of role conflict and the inexperience of new nurses is then exacerbated by the lack of mentors, seasoned staff, and managers.